Former senator Aquilino Pimentel Jr. has urged the government to assert its claim on the disputed territory of Sabah in North Borneo and to include this in the proposed amendments to the 1987 Constitution
The Sultanate of Sulu has appealed for a review of the decision of a Malaysian court sentencing nine Filipinos to death over the attack on Lahad Datu in 2013
The Philippine government will be offering legal assistance to the 9 Filipinos sentenced to death by Malaysia’s Court of Appeals for being involved in the Sabah siege four years ago.
The Appeals Court here overturned the natural life sentence of nine Filipino militants involved in the Sabah standoff four years ago and sentenced them to death for waging war against the country’s monarch.
The Philippines plans to contest China’s naming of five features in the Philippine Rise, commonly known as Benham Rise, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Wednesday.
Floating “sovereign markers” will be placed in shallow portions of the Philippine Rise to assert the country’s sovereignty over the 13-million-hectare undersea plateau before Independence Day on June 12.
It is within the Philippines’ “national interest” to encourage both Filipino and foreign marine scientific researches (MSRs) in the maritime domain, National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. said Monday.
The Philippines has given “too much, too early and too soon” in seeking rapprochement with China and may end up with the short end of the stick, a maritime law expert warned on Saturday.
Senator Bam Aquino lamented on Monday how Filipino scientists appeared to have been sidelined during China’s marine scientific researches (MSRs) at the Philippine Rise (formerly Benham Rise) last January.
Malacañang on Thursday disputed Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad’s statement that the Philippines has no claim to Sabah, a territory in southern Philippines.
The Philippines has a claim over Sabah, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said this Thursday after visiting Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad declared that the country has “no claim” over the disputed territory.
NEGOTIATIONS on federalism between the Philippine government and the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) led by Nur Misuari may revive discussions on the Philippines’ claim over Sabah, analysts sought for comment said.
A proposal to open a consulate in Kota Kinabalu is “treason” as it will effectively recognize Malaysian sovereignty over Sabah, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said yesterday.
The chairman of the Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) has denied discussing with the chief minister of Sabah that the Philippines should drop its Sabah claim and a “treasonous” proposal to open a consulate general in Kota Kinabalu.
The claim to Sabah is based on a document of cession executed by the Sultan of Sulu in 1962. The Sultanate transferred to the Philippine government its rights over the territory of Sabah, which was previously and perpetually leased to the British in 1878, but included among the federated states of Malaysia when it was constituted in 1963.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said Thursday that another batch of 197 Filipino deportees arrived here from the Malaysian state of Sabah, where the Philippines has a dormant claim.
Sabah will conduct barter trading of non-subsidized cooking oil with the Philippines and Indonesia next week, says Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal on Saturday (Aug 24).
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. told lawmakers on Wednesday that setting up an embassy in Sabah would amount to “treason”.
The Federal Government has been urged to find ways to deport non-citizens in Sabah instead of issuing them with special passes, said Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS)(Aug 24).
Malaysia unequivocally rejects the statement of Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. concerning the Malaysian state of Sabah at the Budget Briefing of the Committee on Appropriation on Sept 4.
The Malaysian police are working with their Philippine counterparts to secure the release of three Indonesian fishermen kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf-linked gunmen off Lahad Datu on Sept 23.